Recovery After Breast Augmentation
September 9th, 2012
Recovery after breast augmentation
“How long will it take me to recover from my breast augmentation surgery?” This is a frequently asked question, especially for ladies who are having this done for the first time. The best way for me to explain this is to take them through the whole procedure.
Immediately after surgery
When they they wake up after surgery, they are in some discomfort and may require strong analgesia. After approximately twelve hours the drains (which had been placed to remove any unwanted fluid collection) are removed. Mr Ahmad sees the patient at this stage and if everything is satisfactory, they are allowed home with instructions:
- Not to do anything which involves aggressive arm movements; overhead movement is especially discouraged.
- Keep the bra on all the time, if possible wear a well-fitting bra or under-wire bra.
- Oral antibiotics to be taken for 3 to 5 days.
- Analgesia as required (initial 3 days with combination analgesia and then simple analgesia for another 5 to 7 days)
Recovery in most instances is very smooth without too much discomfort.
Normal work routines can be resumed as soon as you feel comfortable.
Driving can be resumed when you are comfortable to apply the emergency break.
Mr Ahmad sees his breast augmentation ladies approximately 2 weeks post-surgery. The dressing is removed and wounds are checked and post-surgery care is discussed. Mr Ahmad gives the following instructions:
- Aggressive arm movements to be avoided for a total of 4 weeks in cases of round implant augmentation, and for 6 weeks in cases of shaped implants (avoid activities such as horse riding, sports, cycling, golf, squash, swimming, etc.).
- You are advised to take antibiotics if you suffer any infection e.g. cold, flu, urinary tract infection, etc.
- You are also given Micropore tape and advised to use it for at least 6 weeks post-surgery on your wounds.
- You are also showed how to massage your breast for the next six weeks.
A three month appointment is made for the next post-surgery visit.
You are also advised to contact Mr Ahmad’s secretary on 07772-572154 in case you have any queries at all.